ORTHODONTICS FOR ADULTS
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, 20% of all orthodontic patients are over the age of 21. At Gruelle Dempsey Orthodontics, 53% of our Invisalign patients are over 21. There are plenty of good reasons to choose orthodontic care during adulthood including improving oral health or your appearance. Some of the most common reasons for choosing orthodontic treatment as an adult include:
- Misaligned bite
- Unattractive spacing
- Desire for a more attractive smile
- Pain associated with TMJ
Adults who have misaligned teeth or a bad bite face a higher risk of oral health issues including periodontal disease, receding gums, bone loss, and worn or missing teeth. Sometimes this is due to a complete lack of orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, and other times it’s a result of incomplete treatment—when treatment was begun but never finished.
Although the goal of achieving a healthy, beautiful smile may be the same at any age, the orthodontists at Gruelle Dempsey understand that adults have different needs than children and teens when it comes to orthodontic care. We will work with you to help you choose the most appropriate treatments according to your needs and preferences.
Today there are far more appealing options for achieving a beautiful smile through orthodontics than ever before. In the past, adults may have been reluctant to get braces because the only option was metal bands, wires, and plastic ties—a look that was deeply associated with the teenage years. But now there are a variety of treatments that make it nearly impossible for anyone else to know that you are straightening your teeth with braces, including:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
If you are considering orthodontic treatment as an adult, here are a few great reasons to stop into our office for a free consultation to learn more about your options:
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth. When your teeth are properly aligned they are easier to keep clean, which may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful smile builds confidence. Just one year of orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence for the rest of your life. Imagine having the freedom to smile and laugh with confidence whenever you want!
- Misaligned teeth or jaws left untreated can get worse. Ignoring necessary orthodontic treatment can create long-term health issues.
Contact our office to learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics. We know your time is valuable and are always happy to work around your busy schedule.