Invisalign vs. Braces
People of all ages opt to undergo orthodontic treatment to correct tooth alignment and/or bite issues. With all the options available today, selecting the right treatment path for your orthodontic issues is key from the start. If you’re currently trying to decide between traditional braces and Invisalign, allow us to explain more about the pros and cons of each option.
Traditional braces come with a host of benefits, including:
- Reduced cost of treatment (in most cases): Treatment cost will ultimately depend upon a variety of factors, but generally, braces cost less than clear aligners. Braces are also more likely to be covered by your insurance company, at least partially. This makes traditional braces a great option for the patient on a budget.
- Incredibly effective: While clear aligner technology has come a long way, there are some instances in which braces may be more effective. In severe cases of tooth misalignment, for instance, the tension caused by the wires and brackets is extremely effective in moving teeth into the proper position.
- Consistent progress: Another big bonus of braces is that the device is working around the clock to shift your teeth. With clear aligners, it’s necessary to develop the habit of constantly wearing your trays. However, traditional braces take away that worry – you don’t have to fret about losing your tray. Not to mention every second counts, since your braces will stay in your mouth for meals. This means treatment time may be shorter in duration.
Along with the obvious benefits of braces, there are a few things to take into consideration before embarking on treatment:
- Braces are not removable for public speaking or mealtime.
- They require more regular visits to the orthodontist.
- The aesthetic appearance of metal wires and brackets is unavoidable.
- Your diet may be restricted to a certain degree.
- It may take more effort to maintain and clean the braces.
As you can tell, traditional braces are clearly beneficial in correcting bite and tooth problems. However, some of the treatment drawbacks may lead you to explore other options, such as Invisalign. Invisalign’s clear aligner trays offer a very different treatment experience. Here are some of its advantages:
- Aesthetic appeal: Perhaps the most marked difference between braces and Invisalign is Invisalign’s discreet, clear appearance. These clear trays are ideal for working professionals.
- Removable, comfortable aligners: Being able to remove your aligners at mealtime means no eating restrictions. It also makes brushing and flossing that much simpler. Plus, you’re much less likely to suffer damage to the soft oral tissue in your mouth with aligner trays.
- Fewer checkups: With Invisalign, most of the work is done upfront through scans of your teeth and projection models. You won’t need checkups as frequently, either, because your orthodontist won’t constantly be adjusting wires.
The disadvantages of treatment may include:
- You need self-discipline to consistently wear and keep track of trays, making this option less suitable for young children.
- It may not be the best option for complex orthodontic cases.
- The cost may be greater than that of traditional braces.
Learn More From Our Skilled Orthodontic Team
If you’re interested in learning more about which treatment option is best for you, contact our team at Gruelle Dempsey Orthodontics today! As one of the top 5 Invisalign providers worldwide, our orthodontic expertise can help take your smile to the next level.